The Garden Brewery: Head Brewer
Start Date: ASAP (Early 2020 is possible for the right person)
Based in Zagreb, the Croatian capital, in a 2000 sqm2 red-brick warehouse with a 500+ capacity taproom and venue we’ve recently been awarded the Best Brewery in the EU (voted by 50,000+ members of the world’s biggest beer club). We’ve made over 80 beers since opening in Autumn 2016 and export to 10+ countries including UK, France, Australia, Germany, Denmark, Slovakia, Switzerland, Netherlands… We were the first craft brewery in the region to make many styles: Sours, New Englands, Single Hops, Milkshake IPAs… and have an active experimental series and innovation program. We can, cold store and run an in-house Lab. Other awards include RateBeer Best New Brewery and Top 10 Porter in the World. Within The Garden Brewery group we have award-winning music festivals by the Adriatic Sea, bars and a club. Key partners include food festivals, Michelin-star restaurants and key events in Croatia; Christmas Market, Burgerfest… We have been invited to, and are present at, an increasing number of significant, global beer festivals.
This new hands-on brewing role is part of a further expansion as we enter an ambitious second phase of The Garden Brewery. Other new roles include a digital marketing manager and an export sales manager. The new Head Brewer will work closely with the Brewery Director and Head of Production (a new role taken by our previous Head Brewer) to ensure quality processes, innovation in new products and develop expansion plans. The salary package will depend on the individual and reflect previous experience.
Duties and Responsibilities include;
- Recipe development.
- Ability to create products to price and spec.
- Grain handling, milling and disposal.
- Raw materials management and assistance.
- Follow existing Standard Operating Procedures pertaining to brewing, cellaring, packaging and authoring/updating SOPs as needed.
- Maintain detailed data records associated with brewing, cellaring, packaging and related activities.
- Maintaining and developing the talent of the production team.
- Maintain turbidity, Co2 and O2 levels within product specifications.
- Maintain and develop good lab standards.
- Manage and maintain brewing equipment.
- Manage and maintain cellar equipment.
- Oversee operations and maintenance of packaging department equipment, including kegging equipment, canning line and all associated machinery/supplies.
- Follow, develop and maintain best practices for all brewing, cellaring and packaging procedures.
- Assist in managing inventory control of kegs, cases, cans and associated materials/supplies.
- Manage yeast husbandry procedures and best practices.
- Oversee operations and maintenance of CIP equipment.
- Bringing, and maintaining, brewery to SALSA (or equivalent) accreditation standards.
- Assistance in expansion development.
- Provide and receive continual innovation and improvements.
- Event support and attendance (locally and internationally).
- Driving collaboration projects.
- Fostering good brewing industry relations.
- Experience required;
- 5 years within the brewing industry.
- IBD Diploma in Brewing, Brewing MSc, Food Science or Chemical Engineering degree or equivalent (desirable).
- Strong work ethic.
- Experience in barrel aging (desirable).
- Experience in centrifugation (desirable).
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking capabilities, strong communication skills; verbal, listening and written.
- This role will involve local and international travel; and some evening and weekend work.
- KPIs pertaining to the production process to be agreed.
- Relocation support is available if needed.
Deadline for applications is Friday 1st November. Start date can vary from ASAP to early 2020.